October 13, 2012

I'm writing again!

If you've been following me on Twitter and/or Facebook, you know that I'm writing a new play.

The working title was initially La Isla de la Hechicera, but now I'm calling it Encanta.

After the places that Tulpa, or Anne&Me took me, Encanta is a light-hearted, romantic change of pace that I completely welcome. I'm describing it as Kirikou and the Sorceress meets Moonstruck on the island from The Tempest.

I'm a good three-quarters of the way through with the "first" draft (which, in all actuality, is more like a second draft considering that I purged some 75 pages of material and started over not too long ago).

I'm particularly excited about this piece because it's a play that's all about the magic of love, lust, and romance that is nothing but LGBTQ people of color (Black/Latin@, to be precise). I'm really happy about this story breaking the mold for "acceptable" narratives for LGBTQ people and people of color. It's all about people who are being funny and silly and crazy and in love and using magic who just happen to be LGBTQ people of color.

Too often, we only get to suffer because it's "inspiring," and we only be funny when who we are is the butt of the joke.

Fuck that shit.

This is my bit of escapist fantasy, and I'm loving every minute of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment