February 27, 2009

Dreams and panels

Apparently the panel thing works as far as getting my script from Point A to Point B. But I have to admit I'm still apprehensive. Is this enough to work with? Are the aesthetic qualities clear? Do the scenes strike you as complete narratives in and of themselves, or do they need "help"?

For example, in this scene (Panel 5), I write:

Is that enough to hinge a performance on? Do I need to say more about the quality of movement? I admit that some of this may be me trying to make my script actor-proof or director-proof, but . . . like I said, I'm not sure.

I suppose I'm second-guessing the relative simplicity of the text. I feel like I'm leaving out so much that I want to put in there. And I feel like I'm expecting collaborators to "complete" my script instead of giving them something that's complete to begin with.

I don't know. Actors? Directors?

Is there anybody out there willing to help me out with this?

2 comments:

  1. "And I feel like I'm expecting collaborators to 'complete' my script instead of giving them something that's complete to begin with."

    I hope so, I really hope so, and I hope there are people who would be willing to try it. I'm feeling like the collaborators need to participate in the creation of the play. You and they would complete it together. There just might be people who would love to do that with you.

    "You can't put new wine in an old wineskin."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apparently it's enough. A couple of Theater Folks read what I have so far (I even laid it out in panels), and they love it.

    In fact, it's that openness that allowed the Louisiana bayou aesthetic to emerge more strongly.

    ReplyDelete