February 24, 2009

My play as a Black play

I was reading the Paula Vogel interview in The Playwright's Muse, and I discovered something pretty outrageous about my play - in a good way. See, I did not set out to make any kind of political statement with my piece, none at all. It's not like I wanted to keep my work "pure" of politics. I'm just not consciously creating a political piece. Then I read a couple of things in that interview that made me pause. First:
I think that form is content . . . I've always been more interested . . . in the formal devices and the structure rather than in the subject matter . . . But I really am a follower of Viktor Shklovsky, who said that in some ways the subject matter doesn't even matter. It's whether or not we see the subject matter anew that matters.
And then:
Women and writers of color are still seen as threats because, in essence, when a woman or writer of color is defining a play world, there's another definition of what our society is, and that's very threatening.
I realized how amazingly political that piece of information is considering other facts about me as the writer and the work itself, such as:
  1. The playwright - myself - is a queer Black Jewish woman.
  2. I'm retelling some of my favorite fairy tales through a lens colored by the mythology and religion of West Africa and the African Diaspora.
  3. I'm borrowing heavily from traditional and avant-garde Japanese theatrical ideas and aesthetics.
Not exactly a textbook example of the Theater of the Great White Man. And then I kept probing, asking questions of myself and my work that sort of frightened me the more I thought about it.
  1. What is subversive about my writing?
  2. How do I put my Black womanhood into my work?
  3. What does my work say about the Black experience, if anything?
As I was looking at the piece I'm working on now, I realized something peculiar. I noticed how freely I used West African and African Diaspora mythology and religion as formal elements of my work. I noticed how easily I imagined Orixa as a Black woman without also imagining other characters as White. I noticed how naturally this all came to me, with little if any conscious or deliberate choices on my part. I saw how I'm creating a play that is by and about Black people without it being about Being Black [in America]. This piece I'm working on now is thoroughly Black yet creates a world rooted in myth, religion, and art - expressions drawn from the depths of human existence - and White people are not at the center or at the root of it.

Take a moment to let this sink in.

My play, a play written by a Black woman and about Black people, does not define Blackness as the fucked up shit White people do to us, but as our stories, our songs, our beliefs, and our rituals as they are passed across generations through words, through blood, and through spirit.

My play, a play written by a Black woman about Black people, does not express its Blackness as tragic, ridiculous, enraged, pathetic, or simplistic but as creative, enchanting, fluid, complex, and heroic.

My play, a play written by a Black woman and about Black people, does not reflect Blackness as shown in mass media, but as it is lived on an individual and collective level.

My play, a play written by a Black woman and about Black people, does not recreate history or document life as it is today, but creates the world anew through a lens colored by the deeper currents of the human experience.

My play, a play written by a Black woman and about Black people, does not downplay its Blackness to make it more palatable, more "universal," but assumes universality from the start.

My play, a play written by a Black woman and about Black people, does not set out to make a statement about The Black Experience, but to invite you - all of you - into a new reality.

Do you have any idea how fucking rare that is? Do you have any idea what this means?

Blackness is not a barrier to or divider of humanity, but a clear and complete expression of it.

12 comments:

  1. "We younger Negro artists who create now intend to express our individual dark-skinned selves without fear or shame. If white people are pleased we are glad. If they are not, it doesn't matter. We know we are beautiful. And ugly too. The tom-tom cries and the tom-tom laughs. If colored people are pleased we are glad. If they are not, their displeasure doesn't matter either. We build our temples for tomorrow, strong as we know how, and we stand on top of the mountain, free within ourselves."
    (Langston Hughes, The Negro Artist and the Racial Mountain, 1926

    My next question is: who is your audience? This work will be very different in front of an all-white middle-class audience than it will be in front of an African-American audience. What is the community you want top build?

    "Whoever wants to see it" is not an answer...

    ReplyDelete
  2. My next question is: who is your audience? This work will be very different in front of an all-white middle-class audience than it will be in front of an African-American audience. What is the community you want top build?

    "Whoever wants to see it" is not an answer...


    Black and Creole theater-goers under 30, preferably Southern ones or at least those with Southern roots.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool. "Data, make it so."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Prof. Scott, very nice quote from Hughes

    Bard, I like your thinking on this. You have something here so don't let it go.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you hit the nail on the head here. Your play is not a Black play (or a female play, queer play, Jewish play) because of its subject matter, but simply because it is born of your personal experience.

    Question now, given your response to Scott's question... what the heck are you doing in New York, then?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ding ding ding! We have a winner! Laura, take a bow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's the place I need to be right now. It's pretty personal stuff I don't want to get into on my blog.

    But, I will say that this is not the only play I want to write, nor the only audience I want to write for. New York, I feel, is the best place for me to find a variety of audiences.

    However, I'm not averse to visiting New Orleans if that means getting my play produced there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fair enough; I didn't mean to get personal. But I hope your piece can find its audience, despite geography!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm loving this more and more.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Laura,

    Apparently the geography works. A few people read it and love it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. so many layers here. so much to think about. i'm looking forward to reading the play...

    ReplyDelete